Other hobby teminology-a riddle of sorts
doctorwayne Wrote:I'd guess in Pete's language, it'd be used to make tight the joints in the planking of wooden ships. As for "make fast", I'd guess it's derived from "fasten", and simply means "make secure" as in tying-up a boat or even "battening down the hatches". Wayne

"battening down the hatches", includes all the things that have to be done to insure the hatch covers, don't leak.

Making tight the joints in the planking of wooden ships, is the usage I was implying. One hand holds the Oakum, and the caulking iron, the other wields the caulking mallet. I had the opportunity to check up on the construction of Pete Seeger's "Clearwater", a Hudson River Sloop, over the period from when She was just frames, to Her departure on Her maiden voyage.
One of the weekends I was there, She was being caulked. It was both interesting, and a bit boring. On the Starboard side,the
worker started a seam aft, and walked forward driving the oakum into the seam. When he reached the bow, he walked back aft, and began the next seam, and the next etc. Because he used his right hand to wield the mallet, when he did the port side, he started at the bow.
I learned much of what I know about wood hull construction, by watching "Clearwater's" progress. She still sails out of N.Y. City, up and down the Hudson, advertising the need to clean up the pollution, made by all the towns and cities on the banks of the river. The first use of that knowledge, lead to the building of this:

I laid down the original lines drawing of this Cutter, and scratch built it. the hull is planked with 1/32" X 3/32" mahogany strips. Each had to be tapered as they approached the stem or the stern. I was a bit surprised that I was able to get it right the first time. Confusedhock: 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread