Mulling over a couple of track plans
I have been playing with 2 track plans and contemplating a 3rd (still in progress) my dilemma is that I like each for different reasons:

track plan 1 has tons of switching opportunities, a grade change (heading left from the door at the first turnout, towards the back of the layout goes up about 2.5" and towards the front of the layout goes down about 2.5" and ducks under the upper tracks at the far left), street running which could be a + or a - and the lead on the left interferes less with the door than in the next option. Negatives would be more work to complete, grade changes could create "challenges" during switching sessions.... it also comes out over the edge of my workbench more than I would like... addendum: not sure I like the switch back on the back of the left leg behind the yard trackage.

track plan 2 faster build, less trackage and potentially more scenery and structure opportunities and is more likely to be completed in a reasonable time frame thus winning me a bottle of Gibson's finest Canadian whiskey for completing a layout before Squidbait. Negatives: less switching opportunities and longer lead in behind the door .... oh and Squid is less likely to approve as it will be completed much quicker (not sure if that really falls under negatives but I am sure Squid will think so).

Currently plan is to hand lay everything in code 70 and run MRC prodigy wireless. Benchwork would be freestanding as it will eventually come out of this room and move to our store when we get a bigger location (and my son moves out so I can build my big layout in the basement).

I am still not 100% comfortable with the narrow yard area on the left side in either plan but am very limited in this area as it cannot encroach too much on the bench and I want to ensure I have access to the window (there is a window on the left side of the room). Open to criticism or pats on the back.... but am hoping for a bit more than "wow that looks nice". Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread