Mulling over a couple of track plans
I like Plan One better, although I have concerns that your grade is too short to accomplish the rise you need to clear those tracks going into the tunnels. I also don't see where the lower level tracks (beyond the left of the switch to the upper level) have much room to descend, as the majority of the lower level tracks appear to be a passing track area - difficult to park cars on much of a grade, and it would make switching moves more difficult. The siding to the industry could be built level, though. If you're not running hi-cubes or auto racks, 2.5" will clear most HO equipment, and 7' of incline at about 3% will give you the needed clearance.

If you move the switch leading to the grade to the right (towards the door), you could either gain some length on the incline, lessening the grade, or you could keep the grade fairly stiff, then move the switch that's just to the left of the side street to the opposite side of the main street and farther to the right. This would allow you to lengthen the switchback track, although it would also shorten those industrial sidings accessed via the switchback.

The other change that I'd suggest is to have only the rearmost lower track enter the tunnel as you've drawn it. If you curve the other lower track to follow the facia, then have it enter a tunnel at a point near where the layout facia meets the upper level, you could continue the lower level track beneath the upper-level yard. This area would be a good place for a staging track, as you could park a complete train here, out of sight (more-or-less).

I wonder also why you want to hand lay the track, if time is a concern. There is commercial code 70 flex available, or you could use the Central Valley tie strips, with code 70 rail. Nothing wrong with hand laying of course, but flex better replicates the details of the prototype, with tie plates and spike heads at every tie.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread