Freelance 2015-1
Brakie Wrote:Model railroading would be much easier for me if I would model the transition period. The variety of small rail served industries was much bigger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard,That thought has been bugging me for the last 2-3 months and I know what era(mid 50s) and industries I have in mind.

The bigger question is should it be small (0-6-0T or 2-6-0) steam or GE 44 or 70 tonner? My ISL would represent the industrial terminus of a 2 mile switching railroad serving a industrial area.
Larry, I have Atlas HH660 on my roster. That would be a good starting point for an ISL down to short 34' and 40' boxcars. I have also an eye on boxcab switchers if I can get one or two.

My problem is my preference of modern equipment. In front of me are IC HH660, FCEN CF7 and CSX GP40-2. The brand new GP40-2 in boxcar design are by far the most beautiful models. The CF7 are next and the HH660 is simply not my cake. It is the same with cars. I like at least modern 50' boxcars without roof walks, covered hoppers for plastic pallets etc.

At the same time do I prefer old dense brick industry areas. The perfect scenario for HH660 and short boxcars. That kind of industry would be also fine with #4 switches. The perfect layout for my small space.

I have two loves and they do not match at all.

In your case is a mix of 0-6-0 steam and GE44 diesel my preference.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread