Logging Railway Operation
"most of the time, it's shay, climax and heisler."

These locomotives were far better adapted ( OK actually built ) for operation on track that not only had sharp curves, but also, was rarely "level" side to side. The drivers on these locos could "follow the rails" far better than those of a rigid frame loco, and in some cases, even an articulated loco. I've heard several "arguments" stating that the Shays, Climaxes and Heislers, were easier to maintain, than rigid frame locos.
Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, uses this 3' gauge outside frame 2-4-4-2, to move heavy loads in the tight confines of the shipyard. ( SHS&D had to build this one )    
Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company, purchased this standard gauge 2-6-6-2T to haul its logs, and "cut lumber". ( SHS&D does all the maintenance on this loco )

One of the real beauties of this hobby, is that you can establish the nature of the environment, then go and choose the equipment you feel is best suited to the tasks, or your own desires, while still keeping to the requirements of terrain, and finance. No, I do not believe there was ever, really, a 3' gauge outside frame 2-4-4-2. But, a shipyard has all the manufacturing capabilities needed, to build one for themselves.
Another of the beauties of this hobby, is all the learning curves that have to be traveled, to know if what I want to do is possible, probable, and/or profitable. The Creation of Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Dry dock Company, with all its "potentials", was firstly, FUN, and secondly, provides the justification for these originals.
- - - - and that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Icon_twisted Wink 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread