20ftx15inch Switching layout
postman Wrote:Hello. I´m thinking in changing a bit the theme of the layout. It´ll be a former mainline now used as a industrial lead. what do you think?
Nothing wrong with that idea. If you spend a lot of time on Google Maps, you'll run across many locations were a piece of a former main line is now used as a lead to reach one or more industries. There are three such branches in my area of Kentucky, the Bloomfield Branch in Shelbyville; the L&E (Lexington & Eastern) spur in Winchester, and the L&A (Louisville & Atlantic) spur in Richmond. None of them are in rural areas as such, since the towns have built up around the spurs, but plenty of trees and cuts can be found on the Bloomfield Branch that certainly gives it a rural look. Spur crosses a busy highway, has a little street running, and even crosses a busy NS main line at grade protected with a swing gate!

I should also point out that on the Bloomfield Branch, there is no runaround track on the roughly two mile long spur so cars must be pushed/pulled on the spur. In years past where there were several tobacco warehouses and a couple more industries on the spur, we (the L&N) had to line up our train with cars on both ends of the engine in order to work the branch.

Didn't mean to get so long winded, but might give you some more ideas, or at least point out that your idea is prototypical.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread