20ftx15inch Switching layout
postman Wrote:Thanks Mike. My idea is to model the mainline and the industrial lead, no yard. A CSX local train does the switching in the area. Maybe will use the mainline as staging track. This is a picture of the rough track plan, updates will come.    
This plan is shaping up nicely! Not filled with track and plenty of room to switch the industrial spur. You could possibly add another industrial spur coming off the the "S" curve section if you wanted like this:     but otherwise it has a nice clean look with plenty of room for scenery. I'm a firm believer in the Less is More layout style plans.

From doing a lot of "plan and operation testing" over the past year or so, I've found that just three or four multi-spot industries can provide for a nice hour or so of operation. No need to try and squeeze an industry or track into every inch of the benchwork. Just think "prototype operation".

I'd probably stage the train on the left side of the plan so you'd have a nice long run before you reached the industrial spur to do your work. I'd also use a caboose/shoving platform for the reverse move back toward the yard or wherever.

Since it appears that I'm going to have to find a new location for my own switching layout, I may have to "borrow" some ideas off your plan once I figure out what I'm going to do. You've already given me an idea or two.

Will be following this thread with great interest.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread