20ftx15inch Switching layout
postman Wrote:Do you think would be better and easier to model a specific place?
Depends on what you want. There are several actual locations that I'd have liked to model, but they don't support the equipment types I like or just wouldn't work in my available space. Twice over the years, I've started layouts based on actual locations but for one reason or another, never got very far with them: in most cases it was due to not being able to get the proper locomotive(s) and/or cars at the time; which 20 years later are now readily available! Isn't that just the way?

So I just model a fictitious L&N industrial spur in the late 70s to early 80s and include the industries and equipment types that I like - especially the IPD shortline box cars which were so plentiful during that time. I use 4 axle power (GP38-2 and U28B) and trains are 6 to 10 cars in length or I should say were since I'm having to come up with a different layout location now.

I really prefer to freelance so that I can model what I like, but at the same time, try to make it believable.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread