Madras Switching Layout HO Scale
I decided that I wanted to build a small switching layout to demonstrate some of the principals regarding switching safely and efficiently. I had a few things in mind and wanted to incorporate them into a module set.

I wanted to design a switching module that would have a variety of car types, be relatively compact, and have some of the common hazards of the real railroad. These hazards would include things like spurs, crossovers, close clearances, and road crossings.

With my idea in mind I turned to the space available. The space I have to work with is 14' long and though I would like to use the Free-mo standards the space will not allow me to use the full 24" width. I have decided to build the modules at 18" wide, which will allow me still meet up with Free-mo. I also wanted to make them narrower so they would be easier to transport especially moving them around the house.

With the dimensions set in stone, I then decided to start looking for a prototype so I could base my plan in reality. I had already looked around Bend Oregon, to continue my existing theme, but nothing was compact enough to capture everything I wanted. I then was looking through some other information I had and came across the Madras industrial area. This is a location I had planed to model at some point, but it was not high on my priority list. With my newly rediscovered inspiration I found almost exactly what I was looking for, almost.

Here is the track plan as taken from the station PLAT.
[Image: Madras%2BTrack%2BDrawing.jpg]

The area has a sawmill, warehouses, and an elevator. The only thing that it was missing was a a crossover and some sort of hazardous material. I used a little modelers license to add the crossover and add an oil distributor.

Here is an aerial view of the area, looks kind of plain from the air, but there is lots of character in the buildings.

This is a screen shot from Google Earth
[Image: Madras%2BAerial.jpg]

This is the plan I developed that both meets the base Free-mo concept, fits into the space I have available and will meet the other requirements I have for this project. The main change to the prototype is the addition of the oil distributor and crossovers. This will be a separate module that can be added to the set if needed or be a stand alone piece.

[Image: Madas%2BSwitching%2BLayout.jpg]
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/

Messages In This Thread