Uhh, sorry about that......
Thanks all for your ... well thanks. There was a time there for a while I thought surely we'd lost everything for good.

As EZ said, the problem stemmed from a very large database. For those who care, everything on this forum is handled by a database. Usernames, passwords, posts, smilies, everything. And it's placed in one single SQL file. After being up since 2008, that database has gotten enormous. 250mb large. for a file that's essentially text, that's big. To make matters worse, the places that handle these SQL files have limitations as to how big files can be to be imported and moved. 32mb. When I was running the upgrade database portion of the update, the server timed out and killed the database. The reset was exhausting history.

It's true, in a tired attempt to recover, directories were deleted and files obliterated, including my own site.

Everything has been recovered with one exception. Any photos that were attached in posts made recently, are now just dead links. the directory that housed the actual files became corrupt and the files were unrecoverable. Closest I could get was recovering from a July backup.

My apologies for this. I know we made a recently migration from gallery to attachments, some of you put in gobs of hard work getting that taken care of. So this doesn't happen again, I'm installing a backup mod to the forum. That way we can recover more easily. I know this doesn't help us right now, but it's something.

We are still on track for the mods. They'll be added by this weekend. I'm not sure how Tapatalk works, if you need to register. When I get into it, I'll post instructions for those who will use it.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear

Messages In This Thread