Digitalizing a small loco
I have written already that I would like to create a small Xtra-train for pulling my "Thick and large pressure tank" - see here this thread.
And so looks my idea using my little Norfolk & Western G1 consolidation as motive power for this train.

[Image: nw_g1-sven_1562kk.jpg]

The only thing what I must do was to digitalize this loco and doing some small repairs and additions, of course.
The loco was modified by a pre-owner some years ago and he replaced the motor and changed also the gear by adding a second tooth-wheel for reaching an enlarged gear-ratio and so a well reduced speed. In result the models runs with an excellent slow speed and very, very smooth.
The biggest problem was the method of fixing all the changed and removed parts, motor, shaft for worm wheel and also axle bearings - they all are fixed now by an epoxy resin and they are not removable!

[Image: nw_g1-14k.jpg]
You can see the fixed axle bearings here in picture and so I had a problem, a big problem.
First run attempts with full 8-wheel power pickup on tender was not a really good success, so that I must add power feeders to insulated wheel rims on locomotive (like also the mass-side of wheels about frame). Because I do not prefer to mount long pickup wire feeders under the loco frame which are looking as spider legs, so I would add feeders inside of frame with a slight contact on insulated wheel rims on all four drivers. And that all with non-dismounted drivers!
Here is my solution:

[Image: nw_g1-15k.jpg]

I did set thick brass sheets on axle bearings between frame and wheels and so I could mill holes and cutouts with a high-speed cutter from a dental laboratory into side walls of frame without problems.

[Image: nw_g1-16k.jpg]

[Image: nw_g1-17k.jpg]

Above the feeder bolts (only one is inserted) and how the insulated plastic blocks are mounted in frame.
And last the complete mounted frame ...

[Image: nw_g1-19k.jpg]

... without spider legs!
Next picture shows a welcome spillover effect -

[Image: nw_g1-18k.jpg]

The brass loco runs without its tender because it has a complete own power pickup from all eight driver wheels. I think that that will be a good solution in case of repairs or services for engine.
Now the loco has made their first test runs and it runs very well, digitalized. See the opening picture above.
What I will do yet, maybe, is to add a cam wheel and contact wiper for better chuff synchronisation to exact position of crankpins. However the answer will give me the next runs of this model on a larger layout in three weeks, where I will like to shoot a few more pictures and I hope to make a short video clip also. And then I will like to post them here again. But what I must do is to re-letter and re-number the loco and the fat tank as the car must get paint and lettering. And I'm sure that I can get the support of my friend who has painted already a lot of my medels.

For viewing my complete picture gallery especially with a lot of prototype photos including a large drawing of this engine please open here the gallery of this project on my website - with picture texts in English. A gallery with texts in German does also exist - click here, please.

Maybe that I could give you an idea for mounting power feeders under a bit more complicated requirements? I would be pleased if it will help you for your own projects.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread