How do I talk to people who are "wrong"? Don't burn me yet
Hey guys,

Before you burn me at the stake for rivet counting or anything, I want to point out that this isn't about criticizing people. Its a little more complicated.

I was at an open house, when a friend of one of my club members came up to us and started talking about the FL9 locomotives. Apparently, he had worked on rebuilding these engines in the 1980s.

From what I know, the FL9s were rebuilt around that time to be function on the LIRR "under-running" third rail so they could operate into Penn Station, but truthfully, this is something I know little about.

Before I could even ask about this however, he began insisting that before he worked on them, the FL9 was only Diesel powered. This simply is not the case, they were purpose built this way in the 1960s to run into Grand Central Terminal.

At this point, I'm stuck. If I tried to ask my question, I'd have to correct him or otherwise point out he was wrong, which makes me look like a jerk. Or I could just shut up, not learn anything, and be generally shut down.

I figure this is a difficult situation to resolve.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread