149th Street Harlem Station
Brace yourself folks!

[Image: IMG_7995b_zpsgmcvipij.jpg]

I gave myself two weeks to complete this project. The deadline was my own vacations. I'm glad to tell you I reach this step in a week. At a rate of 8 to 12 hours per day, it moved at a steady pace.

[Image: IMG_7996b_zpsyzr8caaj.jpg]

I consider I have now completed all the messy basic stuff including painting track and roads in basic colors. To me, this is a true achievement. Thought I started to build many layouts in my life - probably over 20 - this is the second time I reach that point where only building structures, scenery and detail cars remain. The first time was when I was 7 years old and I built my first 4' x 4' train layout with my father, sister and brother. Good to be back on track after a 25 years hiatus! Seriously, never reaching some level of achievement can be quite distressing at some point.

[Image: IMG_7994b_zpsjeiyjgj8.jpg]

I've learned a few things bout myself while doing this project. I didn't over design the project, but took a decent amount of time to plan carefully the project. When I started to rip wood, I knew there was no turning point and decided to address issues as they appeared. I didn't let small things stop the project and thought about alternate way to get the job done in due time. I was ready to sacrifice my obsession for perfection which had always been my most major pitfall. Funnily, I can't say I cut corners on quality as the final product is quite good. Finally, I didn't set a real schedule but each time I started a job, I made a point I would complete it on the same day if possible. That was particularly important to get over boring or painstaking work.

[Image: IMG_7993b_zpsxmw12vap.jpg]

So, what has been achieved today? Well, all the roads were painted. I became lazy and decided to give a try at Lance Mindheim spray can technic using grey primer. In fact, this is similar to what I did with my Quebec South Shore Railway. I didn't try to get a solid color but instead tried to keep some transparencies here and there to get color variation. The cardboard I used had a very nice color from the start. With what remained of my last can of Krylon Satin River Rock, I highlighted the concrete curbs and some other spots. It was merely a mist but it did improve the general look.

[Image: IMG_7991b_zpsx06zgrlf.jpg]

Next, I spray a good coat of Dullcote before airbrushing a mix of India ink and 70% isopropyl alcohol to give some wear and depth. When dry, I draw the concrete slab lines with a black color pencil. It may sound childish, but it really gave a lot of details with too much effort. It was also a good way to hide the unsightly real seams in my roads. Concrete slabs follow a rough 12 feet x 12 feet grid. I followed U.S. Highway practices from the 20s and 30s.

[Image: IMG_7998b_zps785rxg5d.jpg]

Finally, the last step was to add cracks here and there to represent old concrete slabs. I particularly detailed the grade crossing where a lot of stress is exerted by trucks and trains.

[Image: IMG_8017b_zpsdhcw04tc.jpg]

The most rewarding moment was when all the masking tape was removed and american cars were added to the scene. We can already have a good idea of the final product. Better, some scenes are instantly recognizable from old prototype pictures of Harlem Station. Oh, I didn't remember I had so much old U.S. cars. Lots of fun detailing projects in sight!

[Image: IMG_8000b_zpsanweslrx.jpg]

Now, the most urgent matter is to build a battery powered locomotives and operate the layout! Hope to get Jack's shells soon.

[Image: IMG_8011b_zpsfbcuyzvu.jpg]

And now a few railfan shots!

[Image: IMG_8012b_zpscu84p9es.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8001b_zps67cnmt7l.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8006b_zpsc9xy64d0.jpg]

And my favorite one today:

[Image: IMG_8004b_zpsgfbnddi6.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread