Meanwhile, at the cottage...a scratchbuild!
Hello All!

While I'm traveling back and forth between Kelso and Spanaway, I decided I needed a project to take along to my temporary quarters. For now, my wife, the boys and I all travel up there on Saturday. They return home Sunday night or Monday morning while I keep working until sometime Wednesday. We're staying in a wonderful little mother-in-law apartment attached to a stand alone 3-car garage (read "woodshop").

For a few nights at least, I become a bored bachelor. The TV only gets a few channels (until June when the digital switch occurs) and most of it is mind-rotting crud anyway. No internet (believe me, the withdrawals are serious!) SO, I figured I'd pack up a few tools, my portable lap-desk, and work on a little project.

I had so much fun building the scalescenes.com freebie card structure that I decided I needed to make something [mostly] out of cardstock. I pulled a plastic drawer and stocked it with varying thicknesses of cardstock along with several tools, some white glue, and a few bottles of paint. Any other bits I may need like wire or window glass I'll have to find along the way or bring from home.

"Dollar Models" came to mind as a simple challenge. Looking back through my old MR's (back when the D.M. articles ran, and the magazine in general was more fun and less stuffy) I found a neat little grade crossing gate tower. The prototype is (was?) a Milwaukee Road structure. A couple pictures of the prototype and model as well as text and a couple three drawings are all you get.

So far I am most of the way through one wall - scribing 1/16" card to look like novelty siding using a dental tool, 'stripping' 1/8" card for corner posts and heavy trim, and building up windows in place using a 'Cappucino Coolers' box (1/32" or so). All that in about an hour. Many hours of fun to go!

I will eventually post a scan of the copy I made from the article. It has my notes and observations scribbled on there and will show the changes I made from the drawing. A few of these are to add character the picture shows but drawing does not.

Also I will post a few progress pictures at some point. The camera is up there while I am home for the president's day holiday...ergghh...so they'll have to wait.

Thanks for reading along!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread