Wiring switches for a dispatcher screen?
Hi guys,
I've decided to come to you all here on Big Blue for some more help. I've had excellent advice in the past, and I could sure use some now. Here is the problem I have. I'm in the process of building a double deck layout with areas of both single and double main track (running DCC of course). I've bought Tortoise by Circuitron switches and I'm running into a mental roadblock. I want to be able to wire up my switches so that I can look at a screen (much like Class 1 dispatchers) and 1) see what route my switch is lined, and 2) what track each train is occupying. I have numerous switches to install, and I have Switch-It (switch machine) decoders to go along with them, but I'm uncertain as to how to wire the switches. I know I can wire 2 switches to each Switch-It, and that I can use DCC accessory addresses to address each switch individually. How would I wire switches so that only my "dispatcher" can active them? Will I even need the Switch-It decoder machines or do I just attach the switches directly to the bus wires and then.....?

I'm not trying to sound like a prude or anything, I just want to be able to have my crews run their trains and not worry if they are lined up (hey if it's CTC, your go by signal indication after all). Secondly, the dispatcher (and only the dispatcher) should be able to throw the power switch (unless given authority to "hand operate", just like in the real world.)
I personally have never operated a train on someone else's layout, but I can't think it's much fun having to worry if each and every power switch is lined for your move, let alone when your train clears a power switch, that it's lined correctly for the next guy.
So here is what I'm trying to accomplish...

1) Dispatcher's can only line switches from a remote area someplace else on the layout.
2) A system (such as screen) that will allow the dispatcher confirmation as to the direction the switch is lined.

Any ideas or suggestions would help greatly. Wallbang

Messages In This Thread