Fiddling with layout ideas
Thanks for the feedbacks.

One thing is sure, I think I have to accept the fact this layout should focus on modeling a branchline terminus.

A few thoughts about each layout plan after reading your answers. Feel free to reply.

Option 1: Not practical for steam, but quite efficient for diesel in term of space use. Similar to option 3 in terms of operation if one doesn't mind to turn the locomotive outside the layout. That wouldn't be unprototypical. I've seen many turntables and wyes located a few hundred feet away from the terminus on branchlines in the middle of nowhere.

Option 2: Sounds great at first, but basically, it means the wye legs can't be used for spotting cars. It would only work if the tail track was used for this but it should be longer and I can't afford that. It means only the team track should be used to spot cars which isn't a bad idea.

If used with diesel, the track plan works nicely. The extension makes the layout visual appear less like a shelf and more like a real global area, though it means the benchwork is more complex to build... Behing the extension is a staircase going down stair.

Option 3: As Teejay said, it's the most efficient track plan. Don't wonder why, I just copied the prototype. This is probably the best way to go for a terminus on a branchline. Also, the ratio of scenery vs track is quite high, which makes sense. If the topography is well rendered with a raised roadbed emerging from cultivated fields and wild grass, that could be a stunning project. Also a big point for this project is the fact you can stage a departing train and a arriving train with all the action required to fuel the locomotive.

Head scratching just starting!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread