HO gauge switching layout: Shenandoah Valley
Thank you for the kind comments - I am not personally happy with the graffiti yet however! To try and improve I have started compiling a personal database of images of weathering (on railroad cars but also on non-railroad items) as well as graffiti. When I am working on particular cars I will select a few images to work from to try and recreate those particular images. Once I know how I want a car to look, then I will research ways of achieving that look. I am signing up to the protomodeller forum as well to gain a variety of perspectives on my work.

As for the conductor, in real life he or she would move around during the switching operation either on foot, by car, in the loco, or even by hanging on one of the cars. It really depends on the size of the operation, the local conditions, and that particular railroad's operating policy. I am, of course, only speaking of modern-day railroads as that is the period I am modelling.

The last couple of days as I have been working on my latest boxcar project, and some more scenery. The boxcar is a Walthers product, and I was not happy with its crisp white finish! So, I have given it a light weathering, some rusting on exposed parts. The roof is still a work in progress, but I need to do some research on getting the right effect before I do that.

On a side note, having updated my rolling stock inventory, I can now say that 10 out of the 35 cars that I own are now in what I define as Class I condition - meaning that they are ready for active service and require no further modifications or upgrades, including weathering. As time goes on I will revise my classifications as my standards get higher.

Clas III - Cars which are ok for now but will be sold or upgraded in the long-run. Not ready to be used.

Class II - Cars with a good level of detail, no urgent upgrade requirements but will receive upgrades in the future. Ready to use.

Class I - Cars which are ready to be used and are in excellent condition all-round.

I then also have cars which are in pieces, kits, etc, which come under different classifications.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread