Marlpost, Ontario
At long last, after many false starts and life events interrupting things, I am happy to announce that Marlpost is coming to life.

Originally conceived over 10 years ago after my return to model railroading as an adult, I started reading Ian Wilson's Steam... books. At that point I knew I wanted to do a small, rural town served by Canadian National. My chosen era is loosely defined as "between the wars", so encompasses both the prosperity of the Roaring '20s and the Great Depression.

Marlpost has a number of industries common to small towns across the province. Coal & fuel, grain elevator, stock pen, and team track. Railway facilities include the station, water tank, and a small speeder & maintenance shed. All these building are grouped around the main, double ended siding, and two stub ended sidings. One facing comes off the main to the elevator and the other off the runaround to the stock pen.

The main street in Marlpost runs across the west end of the "yard". There's a gas station, stores, probably a bank, and other buildings yet to be built. The whole thing sits on two 6' X 2' modules.

The biggest issue I had was resisting the urge to cram in all the industries I have. So waiting for another module will be Hamilton-Paice, a mid-sized industrial building with ties to Gern Wink, a milk depot, and various other buildings that don't have a home. Keeping the track plan under control was highly influenced by Trevor Marshall's Pory Rowan in S Scale blog, especially the Achievable Layouts portion.

So at long last, here is the first "new" view of the town. From left to right you can see the station (stand in salvaged from a Christmas layout), team track ramp (one of my first scratch builds with Popsicle sticks and matches), a cardboard mockup of the grain elevator with accompanying scale house, and the end of the coal shed.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread