Thoughts re Hyper Loops?
MountainMan Wrote:Unfortunately for that claim, the faster you travel, the longer you have to wait to leave and arrive. You can travel by aircraft at 350 - 400 mph, but you must wait up to two hours to board and take off, wait to land and endure endless more waiting claiming your baggage and then somehow reaching you final destination, which is NOT the airport itself.

And then you arrive tired, angry, frustrated and out of sorts.

You only have to wait longer because of things like security checks. Thats an artificial speed bump.

Quote:As for finding things on Google, surely you are not attempting to equate an internet search with actual physical travel.

Well, I used fast gadgets to get that information. I hope you're not implying that imply because I can physically travel fast, that this has an impact on my intellectual capacity.

Quote:Speed and gadgets are responsible in large part for the gnat's brain mentality these days. Why bother to think about something if your mental objective can change literally every second of your day? And why else do the Marching Morons talk and text on their cellphones while hurtling along the roads at speeds up to 80 mph? Obviously, controlling a tow ton high speed mass of metal isn't enough to keep their attention focused for even a brief period of time. They need more, the constant electroshock therapy that constitutes "communication" and "social skills" in the New World of Lemming Insanity.

Remember - in ALL of its forms - speed kills.

I think its interesting that you place the blame on technology and not the individual's using it.

Why bother? because your "mental objective" doesn't change every second! Hey, they actually diagnosed me with ADD, and yet somehow I can focus long enough to do this hobby, AND scientific research and commute to work without endangering anyone AND do all the other things I need to do to survive these days.

But you know what the difference is? I actually 1.) care about the things I do, and 2.) I have a functioning brain. In my hands, this "speed" and these "gadgets" are tools. They allow me to accomplish more, and do more things with my time. They allow me to communicate with you nearly instantly, they allow me to reach my family in a short amount of time if there is an emergency. If I have to take a plane some place across the country, that "2 hour wait" is still less time than it would take a train or a car to make the same trip!

In the end, its not fair to blame the technology for the inconsiderate and thoughtless actions of others. Do you think that crazy person driving 80 while texting would be any safer without the phone? What makes you think they won't read the newspaper, do make-up, or god knows what else. I remember once I was on the Long Island Expressway, and there was a whole car of religious folks ( political correctness probably prevents me from saying who) reading from their books, including the driver, and they were driving like lunatics! Maybe they wanted to take the Expressway to god himself.

You can't blame technology for people's failings. They make their own ill-conceived choices and they pay the price for it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread