GATX TankTrainer
I've been kicking around the idea of modeling in HO scale the GATX TankTrainer with the "school house" boxcar. I'm looking for any advice or insight on how to build this duo. I'm really not concerned about making an exact replica but getting it close enough to the real thing. I don't know a lot about this train but I'll list a few of the points and/or concerns I'm interested in.
1) what tank car would be a good base to start with. The prototype has these offset car ends that I'm willing to overlook.
2) what colors for the 2 tone paint scheme?
3) the tank car has 2 hoses that attach to the boxcar, what are they used for and how can they be modeled?
4) the tank car has numerous variations of domes and outlet valves, are these commercially available parts?
5) both sides of the tank car has a door to access the inside, I'm thinking some sort of door from a tugboat looks pretty accurate. Thoughts?
6) there's a walkway on the tank car that would need to be scratchbuilt
7) the boxcar would need the other end of the 2 hoses attached to it
8) it looks like the boxcar has windows but they might be fake, anyone know?
9) the end of the boxcar that the hoses attach to have vents near the end of the car, I'm assuming a generator? I would need some different size vents.

I think that's everything that I'd be interested in including for this train so let me know your thoughts and tips.

[Image: image.jpg1_zpsuxfvshvv.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsi5zrlo6l.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsliupv75t.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zps33dk3kbz.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsnza9am6r.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg2_zpshvuk2ehl.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsdo2irhnq.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsdhaqa526.jpg]

Messages In This Thread