Scratchbashing an HOn3 Reefer
I have been mulling over this project and decided that I need some HOn3 tools essentials to make this work properly. Most importantly I need to be able to set coupler heights right so I have a Kadee coupler gauge on order. In the meantime over the past week I've been working on my Railline HOn3 boxcar:
[Image: DSCF6488_zpsprygfnmk.jpg]
For a plastic kit it's quite the challenge, particularly deciphering the instructions. I would say the kit itself is about as complicated as a Tichy kit but the instructions:
[Image: DSCF6493_zpsjoephmgd.jpg]
This is a photocopy of the original but I found they were somewhat overly complicated and difficult to follow. It did get easier as I continued, probably because there were less parts on the sprues

[Image: DSCF6489_zpsxpv5jypi.jpg]
I had to repair the roofwalk on one end. The previous owner cut the boards flush with the end of the car so I used a bit of strip styrene to re-lengthen them.
[Image: DSCF6491_zpsxa5anddc.jpg]
The kit also came with full under body detail but I had to search out a picture of a Blackstone car to completely figure out how everything went. I'll be doing a similar setup o the reefer.
[Image: DSCF6490_zpsoxtsozlg.jpg]
this is about how far I've gotten. I have to spray primer before adding the couplers and trucks. But I can get back to the reefer soon now that I have the rigging figured out.
I have one or two other HOn3 cars to build so instead of opening more threads, I'll just build them here.

Messages In This Thread