N Scale Switching Layout Modern BNSF CSX NS
Hello Everybody,

it´s been a while since I discussed my last track plan here (Mindheim Track Doubled).
After the railroad room is ready built now and some changes had to be made with the wall, it is a bit smaller then I thought.

So I had to make a new layout plan and would like to know your opinions, suggestions and ideas about it.

The layout room itself is quite small: 400 cm x 280 cm with a shorter wall of 240 cm
Metric measures: 13' - 1 1/2'' x 9' - 2 1/4'' with a shorter wall of 7' - 10 1/2''

As I (like many others I guess...) own quite much rolling stock, I wanted to add some quite large and versatile industries to have a wide variety of car types.

To keep operation interesting, I also added a small sorting yard. The layout will be operated by BNSF, CSX or NS. So the setting should be in the greater Chicago area.

The idea is that a manifest train runs out of the staging and sets out cars for the layout on the siding (left top corner), after he picked up the outbound cars spotted there.
The train will then continue its journey and return to the staging (unfortunately, it has to be put there by pushing back into it or by having the locos run around its train first and then head into the staging).

Then the yard switcher begins its work. The cars are sorted in the small yard and then the local train is built on the siding.
Not every industry receives cars in every session (day) of course. The switching should be relaxed and the local train lengths should be about 10-20 cars.

If the yard switcher and the local jobs are split, two operators would have quite much fun doing their work there, I guess. Maybe even three if through-traffic should be generated.

For the industries again:

Warehouses: Box Cars and Reefers
Lumber Yard: Box Cars and Centerbeam Flat Cars
Scrap Yard: Gondolas and Flat Cars
Car Manufacture: Auto Racks
Tank Car Transload: miscellaneous types of Tank Cars
Hopper Car Transload: miscellaneous types of Hopper Cars
Team Track: almost any type of car
Container Track: Container Cars like Maxi Stacks

So what do you guys think about the plan? Maybe you have any suggestions to improve it?
Please let me know anything that comes into your mind.

I added two versions of the track plan. One with benchwork and lettering, one without.

Hope to hear from you.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.

Messages In This Thread