Airbrush Question
doctorwayne Wrote:Shane, most compressors don't like cold, especially for start-up. This is usually because the thicker oil at low temperatures over-taxes the motor, and, if there was moisture in the system from previous use, it could also be frozen. Even an oil-less compressor can be affected by cold - I had a small diaphram type in my garage that I attempted to use one winter (not for airbrushing), figuring no oil - no problem. Unfortunately, the diaphram ruptured, probably because it wasn't flexible enough in the cold. Eek
If you store your compressor in a warm area, though, then put it into the cold cellar only when you want to use it, it should work fine. Don't forget to take it out of there when you've finished airbrushing, though, and remember to drain the moisture out of the tank.
As for tankless compressors not being any good for airbrushing, I'd say it's a myth: if you have a regulator on the output and the compressor can keep it on the set pressure, you should be fine. The one which I use was built from a truck airbrake compressor - it has a tank, but only of about one quart capacity. The compressor runs constantly, venting air when the pressure exceeds the set limit, but I've had no problems using it. Airbrushing doesn't require a very large volume of air.

Wayne

Wayne if you are using a A/B compressor are you just using a set pop off ? if you are the A/B compressor is set up with a unload-er valve in you use that then the compressor will just free wheel.
Jim

Messages In This Thread