What's going on with eBay?
I prefer the GSP when buying from US ebay.
Shipping via USPS for one locomotive costs between $30 and $50, takes about 3 - 5 weeks and I have to pick it up at the local customs office to pay an additional 19% taxes of the price plus shipping. It takes one to two week to get the parcel through customs at the port of entry (usual Frankfurt airport) to the local customs office and the paper letter to my postbox with the notification to pick it up.

Customs and DHL have a tricky cooperation. Customs sends the parcel back to the US if I fail to pick it up within 7 days (was 14 days until recently) at the local customs office but DHL may take up to 8 days for the notification. Tough luck for me or watch the online tracking very intensive and show up at the customs office without the written notification and bag for the favor to scan through their long lists.

GSP ships for about the same cost within two weeks to my doorsteps. The "administrative" handling is done by GPS at the EU port of entry in UK or France within 24 hours.

Both methods are awfully expensive but GSP is much more convenient!

ps. The only alternative is DHL Express as offered e.g. by Train World. They deliver for about $50 + tax within 48 hours to my doorstep. TNT has a similar offer I got some weeks ago from a Canadian seller.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread