E-paw's Get off yer duff Challenge - Part I
Thank you Gents, it's always nice when the masters complement your work.

Finding detail parts and scratch building supplies is something that is getting harder and harder to do lately. After a nonproductive trip to the LHS and a not so local one for supplies, mainly a stack for this model, I scavenged the deep dark recesses of my parts boxes and came up with a solution. In with the parts from my Russian decapods were the discarded stacks from my 2-10-0 builds. The height and diameter looked about right , but they had a strange flair at the top that just looked silly on a north American model. Here's how I fixed that.

I was able to pass a 2-56 tap through the stack and threaded a screw through it, this gave me something to clamp onto to hold it. With a set of rail nippers and a course file I did some rough demo to the flair. Then out came the drill Big Grin , I chucked the screw and put a rubber band around the trigger, now I had an improvised lathe 357 .

Using a file and some sand paper I could now turn it down to a straight stack.

That's more like it.

I ground down the head of the screw to fit inside the stack and used it to mount the stack to the smoke box. A thin strip of styrene was used to dress up the top lip of the stack. In this pic you can also see the headlight that I intend to use. I believe it is also a leftover from my 2-10-0 build.

"EDIT"
I mentioned my 2-10-0 builds,,, maybe I should include a link for the build. :?
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279</a><!-- l -->
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread