Weekly Photo Fun 12/16 - 12/23/16
Quote:You are also correct on the origin of #9. I was told it was built for the US Army in 1942

The 26 is also a US army vet of sorts, but of the first world war. She was ordered by the Army ( hence the green paint ), Built and painted by Baldwin, but never shipped to Europe, The war ended first. The army canceled the order and she became the shop switcher at Eddystone. At some point she was involved in a wreck that dented her pilot and bent her frame.     Instead of scrapping her, the people at Baldwin rebuilt her. They altered the main rods and valve gear to overcome the bent frame. During the last rebuild at Steamtown the frame was straightened and running gear reworked back to it's original shape. The dent was kept as it records its history. The other work was done as it lessens the stress on the engine with all the parts in line.

This little 0-6-0 almost met the scrapper's torch, but was saved by the Ohio central. In a trade, it entered the National parks collection for a duplicate engine.
It's last rebuild took about seven years, and was completed a year ago. It added decades to the steamers life. This was truly a job well done, I hope the 9 can enjoy the same.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread