MWaz Get off your duff challenge
Nicely-done detail work, Mark. Applause Thumbsup Applause Thumbsup Applause

twilight Wrote:....Since DCC replicates prototypical speeds. Which was something I had to adjust my brain to when I first put this H-9 together. I did expect the same speed and power as if the H-9 operated in straight DC, but that is not the case when operating in DCC without changing gear ratios or finding some can motor with some off the scale RPM's.

Mark

Those of us using DC powered locomotives, for the most part, I think, also use prototypical speeds, simply controlling them with the throttle. Most of my steamers, both plastic and brass, have fairly realistic top speeds, and the couple of older diecast ones are easily controlled. My mainline all has posted speed limits, though, and they're all well below the top speed of my locos' prototypes.
Pulling power depends more on the motor's strength than its rpm (one reason why some old locos with open-frame motors are good pullers) and is also dependent on sufficient weight to keep the drivers from slipping too much.
It is possible to put too much weight into a locomotive - if it can't move its train and the drivers won't slip, chances are that the motor could burn out - this applies to DC and DCC.
I add weight to all of my locomotives, but when the trains are too heavy for one locomotive, I simply add another, either as a helper or as a pusher.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread