MWaz Get off your duff challenge
So, continuing on with the decoder install, I needed to drill and tap the hole for a 2-56 screw. Since I am using the main drivers for a pick up I will attach one leg of a Microtronics 3 pin micro mini connector to the new screw. The other 2 leads will be soldered on the posts on the NWSL motor. Incidentally, I used a NWSL 2032D-9 motor, 2.0mm shaft with 9500 RPM's. Gearbox was also from NWSL part# 153-6, which was recommended for Bowser freight steam locomotives.

Hole will be drilled where black dot is at.
[Image: IMG_5056_zpsdtfg30yx.jpg]

Hole is drilled and tapped.
[Image: IMG_5057_zps7ppvtxeb.jpg]

With screw for pick up wire.
[Image: IMG_5058_zpstwvz70mg.jpg]

Here are the connectors I use. 3 pin for motor leads and pick up. 2 pin connector is for the headlight.
[Image: IMG_5060_zpsp7bprxw2.jpg]

Before, I put this on the test track. I checked the mechanism for any binding, which I found of course. I needed to tighten up some screws in the valve rods I had left loose. Added a touch of CA to the threads to prevent them from backing out. Here is the drive being tested with a transformer after the binding was taken out.
[Image: IMG_5068_zpssy01ekl0.jpg]

Next, I solder in the 3 pin connector leads.
[Image: IMG_5070_zpsb8x2yzvr.jpg]

I was able to put the whole thing back together and for the first time in about 4 or 5 years the darn thing ran down my test track. I was trying to post a video but it won't upload to my Photobucket page. Not sure if I can post a video here also. Anyway, the H-9 topped out at scale speed of 48 mph. Since, I do not have anything to reference that number to I'm going to assume that speed is relatively accurate. If anyone has an info that they could share I would certainly appreciate that.
[Image: IMG_5074_zps7eminmiv.jpg]

Messages In This Thread