MWaz Get off your duff challenge
Well after along hiatus from this build, I pulled it down off the shelf because my club's open house season starts at the end of the month. I did a couple of test runs on the test track in my work room and things were fine. So, on off to the club for a full blown test run. Right out of the chute, problems Curse . Locomotive moved along the straight away it was on, bucking and making noises eventually stopping forward motion. Checked reverse. Had reverse then made high pitch winding noise. I removed it from track and brought it home. I didn't have time for troubleshooting at the club. At home, I checked for binding and did not notice any in the drive mechanism. Sometimes, with these Bowser kits, screws will back themselves out and lock up the drive. I didn't see anything of that nature, either. What I did find is the ball and pin at the end of the motor shaft was loose.
[Image: IMG_0671_zpsalwg1ipr.jpg]
So, I replaced it and put it all back together. Still was not operating smoothly. I then began looking at the gear box.
[Image: IMG_0665_zpsrclctols.jpg]

Somewhere along the line in this build, I remember finding this screw would not tighten down. Stayed in the hole though.
[Image: IMG_0667_zpslpoyolc4.jpg]

I took the rest of the gearbox apart and found plastic shavings floating around in the worm drive(no picture). Then I notice that the worm gear was all sloppy. Not sure if it can be clearly seen, but the little stub in the middle of the gearbox is the worm gear. To the right of that stub is a noticeable gap. Not suppose to be there. Also, the worm shaft is all sloppy, too.
[Image: IMG_0669_zpsxozuku97.jpg]

Here is a picture of another NWSL gearbox I have for a future K4 build. Notice there is no gap where the silver disk is on this gearbox.
[Image: IMG_0670_zpsgjbbmzhx.jpg]

I ordered a new gearbox and also sent an email to Dave at NWSL. He let me know I can just order the sides of the gear box, which I might do and keep the other gearbox for an I1 build or a re-gearing project on one my L1's.

Stay tuned. I want try to get this up and complete before show season.

Messages In This Thread