MWaz Get off your duff challenge
I ended up re-doing the window install to get rid of the lumpy paint. The engineer and fireman had their legs trimmed off to about their hips and sat on a block of scrap styrene to get them to sit in the windows the way I wanted. And finally I installed the backplate.

[Image: IMG_1417_zpstdoge654.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1418_zpsssu2tzyd.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1299_zpsuuvovcuf.jpg]

Sometime during the build I discovered that one of the Cal-scale brake shoe details was causing a short and I removed it. I eventually removed all brake shoes and started looking for plastic ones. I ended up settling on these (I used the smaller 4. The larger brake shoes I will save for something with larger drivers):

[Image: IMG_1334_zps8ysihbr1.jpg]

I had to fill the holes from the Cal-Scale brake shoes and used Milliput:

[Image: IMG_E1415_zps9yu1bsor.jpg]

I have used this stuff before and I forget where I learned of it, but what I like about is that when it hardens, it's hard as a rock and does not shrink. It will also hold threads if it needs to be tapped. Since I didn't know where the new holes were going to land, this seemed to be the right stuff.

I filed down the Milliput to clean up the overspread.

[Image: IMG_E1354_zpst81pjck3.jpg]

I drilled out new holes and tapped out for 00-90 screws (I used hex head screws) and installed the new brake shoes. The Precision Scale Co. brake shoes needed to customized a bit for hex heads to fit, but I think they came out pretty good.

[Image: IMG_1414_zpsdxyahcyw.jpg]

Looks, like it's time for touch up, again, and re-assembly Thumbsup

[/url]

[url=https://s1081.photobucket.com/user/bowser0227/media/IMG_1417_zpstdoge654.jpg.html]

Messages In This Thread