Old AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 upgrading
The running qualities, mechanical yes it was improved, The 1:racey gear ratio was reduced to more civilized 1:24 ratio.
But electrical it was as bad as before. The old dilemma with the offset current pick up, now with analogue running bad and at least it will be worse running on DCC. For the offset pick up both traction tires were mounted onto the drivers of the left side. This caused a tendency of the loco to run askew under pull.

[Image: dsc01654p5p2x.jpg]
So something was to do with it.

[Image: dsc01655wpqqa.jpg]
Both wheels with traction tires were mounted on the rear axle to solve the proble with askew running.
The pick ups were made im my well proven and tested manner out of 0.3mm bronze wire.
The main and connecting rod were mounted in the right way for 4-4-0s; main rod inner. In my grab box i found two suitable hex head screws with longer shafts for the rear pair of drivers.

[Image: dsc016563wqyl.jpg]
For the tender trucks i decided to retain the original axle wipers. As the material of the trucks is not glueable, two tiny bores of 0.5mm were done as shown.
A length of 0.3mm bronze wire were bend to a U-shape. The legs were threaded into the bores and bent to shape. Excess material was cut off.
So an all wheel pick up of the tender was realized.

[Image: dsc0165715qji.jpg]
Next was preparing for DCC wiring. There will be at least 6 wires between loco and tender. To bundle them i made this wire binders. U-shaped pieces of 0.5mm brass wire were inserted into 0.5mm bores.

[Image: dsc01653aeoan.jpg]
The headlight was cored and a 3mm warm white LED inserted.
But the headlight and the stack are really huge in comparison. Here the deviation from the scale of 1:87 is awkwardly noticeable. Still searching for a solution.

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread