Old AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 upgrading
The flanges on the drivers of this IHC Mogul weren't quite as deep as those on your Big Boy, but deep enough that they didn't look too good.

[Image: freshphotos002.jpg]

All of my locomotives are wired so that they'll run without their tender, so I simply connected leads from a power pack in my workshop to the motor of this one (body off).
After setting the throttle at medium, and while holding the locomotive upright in one hand, its drivers turning, I gently applied the face of a cut-off disc in my Dremel to the flanges. Keep the locomotive upright and the disc touching only the bottom of the flange. This allows the cutting residue to simply fall to the workbench rather than into the mechanism. Work only for a few seconds on any one driver, then move to another. This keeps the driver tires from getting too hot and either dropping off the plastic wheels or, even worse, deforming the wheel. Do not allow the edge of the cut-off disc to touch the tire, and keep the pressure light to avoid having the disc shatter. By all means, wear eye protection - it protects you from both shattered discs and the metal filings coming off the flanges.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread