Old AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 upgrading
(04-11-2017, 10:15 AM)modelsof1900 Wrote: Hallo, please a question off topic, however long time in my head.
Because is saying about a loco "... but she runs now." Because "SHE"?
A loco is an item and so it should be "it", I think?
This is not the only time of this manner to write about a loco. In a video about the 611 was said also - She is a beaty!
Thanks for your tutoring in English!

For as long as sailors sailed the sea...  "Vessels" of any type were referred to as "She"
The reason is She refers to "as a woman"
Any machine anywhere - Cars, Bikes, Computers, Ships, Trains...etc...  Possess the following qualities at any given moment:

They are moody.......... Something worked last time, but it just doesn't want to now
They have attitudes...  Try and run, sail, steer, someone else's "regular ride" and you'll see...
They are frustrating.... (see moody)  They "just don't want to work correctly" 
When you treat them right, they'll always be happy & productive and stress free.

Any engineer from prototype to models will tell you, every engine, car, bike etc. has her own definition of running perfectly.  If you stray from this thin gray area, it's never good.  Most times this results in letting all the "magic smoke" out...  Never a good thing!!!  

There are many railroad stories that have an element in them of a time that an engineer had to switch engines and She just didn't like another engineer touching her  Smile  Smile  Smile 

Other times, an engineer returned to "his engine" and he could tell someone else ran her.
This winds it's way down to when you have your car worked on, at a service center...  The seat is adjusted wrong, whatever loose things you may have in there are moved....  It's just a bit frustrating that you have to set everything right.

Hope this helped  Smile  Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???

Messages In This Thread