modelsof1900's Get off yer duff Challenge (Part III)
Last changes before digitalizing yet. Shorten a too long fixing screw on excenters.

[Image: nw_classm-047k.jpg]

Repairs where I have had a too fast grasp ...

[Image: nw_classm-048k.jpg]

... and shorten of a too long combination lever which was going over the rails near to zero.

[Image: nw_classm-052kp.jpg]

And now the digitalizing with problems which I never have surmised and which I not could picture with all its consequence!
First I searched the best speaker which I could set with some modifications into the smoke box because my locos must generate their sound like the prototypes at smokestack!

[Image: nw_classm-053k.jpg]

[Image: nw_classm-054k.jpg]

The speaker is clamped into the smokebox and to see already the wiring behind the skokebox front for frontlamp and classification lamps.

[Image: nw_classm-056k.jpg]

And all components were working with my TCS WOW-sound decoders - motor, sound, lighting!
This is a picture how I built up my test installation on a cleaned work table. This picture was also a proof for TCS that all the parts of this digitalizing project did well and correctly work. Then after that the problems did came!

[Image: nw_classm-058k.jpg]

I tested that again using different speakers - and switches it off on evening. Please watch also that TCS offers als a docoder version with a kee-alive unit that you see on picture in center connected with two wires only. All was ok at this moment on evening.

However how do you start this installation on next morning? Power switch on at command station - and the decoder was burnt!

What was the reason for that? I checked all components, no shorts - and starting with my second decoder again with a step by step activation and - all is working like wished! I switched off and on, I tested speakers again - and all were working like before. Power off in evening.
Power on in the morning - and the second decoder was burnt!

Honestly I ought to write that two decoders where burnt before this moments where I worked with modified speakers and where I guessed that I have set reasons for burning of decoders. Because I check especially my digitalizing very extensively with tests of components and by measurings against shorts I'm sure that I not fave give a reason for these burnt decoders. I replaced the first modified speaker by a new one which I rebuilt also and it worked. My LED lighting worked, the motor rotated and drove the engine on the roll test stand - all worked correctly while single tests and including also in combination - and each time the decoders burnt with the first pwer on on next morning! Did set the fix connected keep-alive unit a reason after a full discharging over night?
Believe me, I was desperate!

A friend suggested to replace all parts and components of this work and to make a new start from zero by use of an old test decoder where a loss would not be a large failure. And so I did it!

To be continued.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread