Looking for help on casting small parts
twilight Wrote:Thanks guys for the suggestions . I did purchase a RTV mold making kit from Allumilite and I'll give that a whirl when it arrives at the house. I'll post the results when I get a chance.

Mark

Allumilite is what I use (I've also tried the Micromark stuff), and I probably would have recommended it if I had known you were working on these things. I'll probably be making additional molds of small parts for my MU car kits soon.

It looks like you are making a one-piece casting. In that case, I'd temporarily glue the masters to a sheet or something and pour the mold material over top of it. This way, the bubbles will generally rise up and away from the part.

I think heating the mold also helps with casting the part, as the heat will let the resin "run" into the details better. Their are probably more specific instructions for whichever version of Alumilite you picked up.

There is also a technique to mixing and pouring to help reduce bubbles. I don't know that you could totally remove the air bubbles, but for parts like this you should be able to get consistent results.

Chris
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread