A brake man with the wrong lantern!
Doc, thanks!
Yes, this may be an idea for using this figure as caboose man who goes along the track. However there will be a problem.
This figure will be used only on a large layout that our US railroad friends group will install for personal meetings or for exhibitions. Especially there the visitors will like to see running tains, so we can not organize a railroad accident with a walking lantern man or he stands beside of a track without a real sense. Yes we will have derailments, of course, but there we try to rerail the models as fast as possible for continously running trains.

But I think I have found another solution.
A possible idea is to use the man as a staff member of a our planned railroad museum on the layout where especially steam locos will be exhibited steam locos and also where daily tourist trains will start and arrive. These trains must enter the passenger track im museum in backward running direction and so my brakeman could stop the train before the exhibited locos and some cars. In this case the lantern could be activated and this should be a very good use for my switchman, I think. Or the last car on exhibition track will be a caboose where the brakeman stands on platform and stops the incoming train with his lantern again.
So my man could prevent the caboose with its red lantern as a member of caboose crew the caboose maybe against incoming trains in case that the caboose stands irregularly on a side spur? Or can he use the lantern as a train end signal for a short time in an irregulary case? I'm not sure if this will be recogniced as an error in railroad signaling by our visitors.
Sorry, for this I would like to receive your answer, please. We model railroader should not make heavy errors which we show our visitors as reality of American railroads.

I think that one of this thoughts will be realized for our exhibition layout but I know also that I must try to find one of my unpainted figures which will be modified to a new switchman with an white/golden illuminated lantern. And then new pictures will follow in January next year where we will realize the next exhibition with a very large layout.
Thanks for your help, Doc!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread