My biggest layout to date
Photo 
History... nearly three years ago, we moved from Phoenix to Indiana. I had a decent 10'x10' layout in Phoenix but completely dismantled it and boxed all the pieces up for the move. Two years later, I've now got a very nice basement and a decent sized room that nobody in the family has claimed... until now!

I've been working on a decent sized plan for a while now... somewhat mountainous stuff. I kept dragging my feet though at the thought of how much lumber was going to cost. Then, my boys school brought in a new modular for more classrooms and after they used the 2x4's to tie the two halves together during the installation/construction, they just threw them out in the grass. I asked what they were going to do with them and they told me they were going to throw them away! Can I have them? Yes, just get them out of here! Thus the solution to my dilemma! Granted, they were full of nails... but after I pulled them all out, I had 32 fairly decent 2x4's... FREE!

And so it began. I decided to cut and assemble all the framework down in my workshop so the tools and the sawdust would stay out of the house. Once the framework is more or less complete, I will bring it up to the house in manageable pieces and reassemble them.
The beginnings of the framework...

Starting the more tedious chore of the smaller framing that will support the foam and fascia.

The layout itself will occupy a space that is roughly 21' X 12' in a walkout basement room that is 38' X 15'. It's not complete, but I've used SCARM to help me get an idea of the 3D aspect.
[Image: sample_1.jpg]

[Image: sample_II.jpg]

The layout will be N scale with a single line of HOn3 4" lower and around part of the perimeter. I figure with the similarities in the track, and the distance separation, it should not look too out of place.  Upon completion, I will be able to run 5 trains independently of each other, OR 1 train anywhere on the whole layout (with the exception of the HOn3 line. There are lots of tunnels but I have designed two access circles inside of two separate mountains for easy track access.

Messages In This Thread