Suggestions for Locomotives?
Charlie B Wrote:What time period, and is this line an old PRR right of way? These are 2 things that would help decide the power. The PRR had relaid most of their important lines with 130# rail so heavier equipment and trains could be handled. The time period would influence the loco builders. I had an ALCo S-1 and a GP9 at the KJR. (I liked the ALCo best
Charlie

Time period - "Modern". So, now.

Regarding it being an ex-PRR RoW, I dunno, maybe? I am tying it in to the NS at Hollidaysburg, PA, but the line heads in to the Allegheny mountains, most of the lines that went up there, particularly up Broad Top Mountain, were short lines that were built on their own [The Huntington and Broad Top Mountain and East Broad Top RR]. So most likely the track was already there and my line brought it back in to use, whether being an old PRR branch/spur, or an old short line brought back in to use, probably the former. I don't know yet.

Mike Kieran Wrote:SD locomotives might have trouble on the 18-20 curves. You can also get by with B-B locomotives mated to slugs for extra pulling power. Railroads would often like to stay with the same parts bins for motive power, so either Geeps and other 567 engined locomotives or 645 engined locomotives would probably be more plausible.

My heart still lies with ALCO products, so that would be my first desire, but GE U25Bs and B23-7s are also flooding the market (you did say modern).

The SD wouldn't ever be on the 18-20" curves, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the parts commonality for the engines, after actually looking I didn't realize I was "double dipping", as it were, between both :O

Mike Kieran Wrote:Any kind of 567 engined road switcher would be my first choice. Don't forget the GP18, GP20, and GP35. Kato GP35s can be found on eBay for a reasonable price and are some of the best running engines that I ever owned. I have 2, one Southern Hi Hood and one NS low hood.
I might already have a GP35 model in storage. I am still unpacking from moving. I always liked the look of the cab on the GP35, too. I also think I have a GP9, as well.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda

Messages In This Thread