Cattle pens and stock car
Matt, I have one stockpen on the mainline, and not very prototypically-placed, as it's very close to a tunnel, just out of the frame to the upper left...

[Image: Layoutviewsetc005.jpg]

...and pretty-close to downtown Elfrida, too. Crazy

It was inspired (sorta) by one which existed on the CNR line at Park Head, Ontario. I have only vague recollections of it from my childhood, but I seem to recall that it was more of a loading ramp, with no holding pens. The real Elfrida had stockpens, too, but as far as I know, they were solely for service by trucks. From the period I remember, Elfrida had a church, a gas station, and a couple of houses, in addition to the stockpens. Nowadays, that area is a shopping centre and totally built-up with houses and other commercial development.

I may move the one in my version of Elfrida, and replace it with a simple loading ramp. A farmer wishing to ship livestock would inform the local freight agent, and arrangements would be made for a suitable car in a train headed in the proper direction. My line isn't so busy that a train stopped on the mainline would cause disruption, and I suspect that the case at the Park Head ramp was similar, with perhaps only a train or two per day.

If I do move the Elfrida pens, they'll likely end up in Shallow Lake, on my layout's upper level. It's on the main line, but will have a separate siding for the stockpens, along with a sugar beet loader and a team track ramp. Park Head (my version, also on the upper level), will also get stockpens, likely on their own spur, and hopefully not right in town. Stockpens can also receive livestock, and I use the stockyards at Lowbanks for both shipping and receiving, as the facility there includes an auction house for livestock...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd235.jpg]

Wayne

Messages In This Thread