Freelance 2018-1
I had meetings with all three subcontractors. Next topic is to find a project schedule that fits all four parties. Have been at the scrap yard for another load of old stuff.

I kept engines and rail cars for the following layout themes:

1. East coast 2000+, CSX, NS, CSAO
2. East coast 1980+ CR
3. Chicago 1980+ MILW MP15AC (SOO GP7)
4. KC MO 1996+ BNSF SW1500 (BN with BNSF patches)
5. Florida 2000+ FCEN CF7 and FEC GP40.
6. LA Basin 2000+ UP GP15-1, GP38-2

and bunch of CSX, UP and BNSF Gensets..... :-)

Everything else has been scrapped. I did not like it but it was required to get a clean new start.

I had many buildings in the basement too. It was an upcoming requirement to scrap them too. The buildings made from a handful of Cornerstone and Atlas (Middlesex factory) appeared more or less kit bashed again and again on my various sceneries. It is time to concentrate on scratch built buildings to get really a new layout.

I kept for sentimental reasons the old NY Boxcab units with some horse drawn wagons, two UP SD60 bought at Caboose in Denver and a SD70/ES44 BNSF pair I received as a gift from my wife. The later ones will be used as a "track measurement train" on the new layout. While not a perfect fit that large units should they operate flawless on all curves and transitions on and off the hatches.

A first drawing of the room and the layout. The overall concept is from todays layout unchanged.

North : Four track staging yard. Currently ROCO line tracks to be replaced with Atlas Code 83 tracks. #4 switches planned. Looks awful but should work reliable.
East: Connection with a hatch (hinge at the south end) at the door
West Connection with a hatch (hinge at the south end) bridging the balcony door. Currently is the balcony blocked by a not easy to handle lift out section.
South: Scenery part. Passing thru mainline with runaround (yes, want that :o ) and stub tracks to various industries in the background.

[Image: 25351624177_1b325b85cd_c.jpg]

The center beam discussion made me aware of the upcoming chance of advanced planning. I intend to use 24" radius for the mainline and have at least one stub track with a wide curve via a #6 switch connected to the main line. That track might be used for center beam cars by design.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread