Winter's Delights
Tyson Rayles Wrote:They reintroduced Elk here but most hang out in the Park. We have massive herds of deer here and VERY large flocks of turkey here as well. They also have brought back red wolves . People that live in the urban areas don't know what they are missing.

We get a lot of these animals in the city too. Last Christmas Eve, I almost ran over a 50 lb raccoon in South Queens. We've seen possum, skunk, racoons, and coyotes in NYC.

As far as elk are concerned, I can appreciate them from a couple hundred feet. They, like deer, are not as defenseless as people think.

We get black bears just outside the city. A friend of my wife has a weekend house upstate and told us that there was a bear spotted on the housing development. I asked her if it was a grizzly or a black bear. She asked me what difference it made. I told her that you can scare away a black bear with pepper spray and a whistle. If she can find the bear poo, she can tell what kind of bear it was. If there was a whistle and/or pepper spray in the poo, then it was a grizzly.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread