KISS or take no changes
Reinhard, I'm going to talk straight from the heart based on my 62 years of experience.

There is a lot of BS spilled forth by so called "experts" that has complicated this hobby over the years and that BS has been back by wanna be experts. I never found the need to follow this "expert" advice.

I have never had a powered frog in my 62 years in the hobby and never had stall issues and this will include brass switches with oversize rubber frogs, brass track and locomotives with brass wheels.All of this goes against the grain of "expert" advice about the evil of brass track brass wheels and insulated rubber frogs..
None of my past ISLs had blocks nor bus wire with feeders since I found it wasn't necessary. Wiring overkill is not a good thing simply because the more wires you add the higher risk of problems cropping up. I never found the need to solder the rail joints.

As you know my thing is slow speed switching on a ISL and I been doing just that since I built my first switching layout back in the early 60s.. I switched to Peco insulated frog switches on my second Slate Creek ISL because Atlas was having issues of keeping track in stock.

KISS is my mantra because that goes hand in hand with my "If it ain't broke stupid, don't try to fix it".
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread