SOME FREIGHT CAR MODIFICATIONS...
Here's the TH&B's number 1910....

[Image: 100_7730.jpg]

While it may, or may not have been accurate for these cars (the photos I have show them in the '50s, with even less lettering), I decided to re-letter them using the balance of the Aberdeen Car Shops' decals already on the car, in the above photo.

This scheme is what was used on new 52'6" gondolas ordered in the '60s.  Since I'm unable to find photos of these 10 older cars when they were acquired, secondhand, in 1952, I've decided that my version, representing them in the late '30s, is an experimental lettering scheme, use later on the newly ordered cars...

[Image: 100_7731.jpg]

[Image: 100_7738.jpg]

All four of the modelled TH&B cars have "wood" floors....

[Image: 100_7740.jpg]

...and all are yet to be weathered, inside and out.

This cinder car is a pretty-good physical match for the TH&B's versions of the same cars in their later life, but I opted to letter it for my own EG&E, as the engine terminal on the upper level of the layout will eventually have an ash and cinder hoist....

[Image: 100_7736.jpg]

[Image: 100_7737.jpg]

While the car's original floor is wood, it's better-suited for its role carrying ash and cinders with it plated-over with steel...

[Image: 100_7741.jpg]

Like the TH&B cars, this one needs to be weathered, too.

I'm not sure what's next, but I have 6 U-channel hoppers to be made into TH&B cars, and two more, already as TH&B, which need to be back-dated - mostly the brake gear, but also, but also some revisions to the lettering and grabirons.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: SOME FREIGHT CAR MODIFICATIONS... - by doctorwayne - 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM