Bowser Loco Kits
nachoman Wrote:
Bob C Wrote:the market does not support conversion kits - all has to be ready to run in HO and N

But the reality is, the cost I would have to charge per kit would be almost as much as someone could get a similar piece as RTR. I can't compete. Even if Bowser produced a accurate USRA 2-8-2 - at the cost they sell them for, they couldn't compete with those that sell RTR. People would rather pay that extra hundred bucks than spend a few weeks assembling one themselves.

There is little collectors market for RTR outside of brass. But, there is a collectors market for craftsman kits (FSM kits selling for 3x the original price, Don Winter kits going for several times their original price, etc). They offer models which are not available from other sources and generate sufficient interest that people feel the need to stock up. Many NKP modelers (active and armchair) have purchased $60 brass car sides for the 80 series coaches. Those NKP modelers need H-5 2-8-2s more than they need 80 series coaches. NYC modelers especially need H-5s, they were the most common 2-8-2s on the road with the largest roster of 2-8-2s. Yet, the only source has been old brass imports.

Bowser has suffered from manufacturing techniques which require substantial tooling costs. Too many examples are the marrying of one boiler to 3 locomotives or 1 mechanism to 2 locomotives. Signs that the tooling is a killer for them. They would need to change techniques to gain the flexibility to fulfill the modern kit market.

There is some sort of rule about the work required to turn a model into an accurate model versus starting elsewhere. Bowser really suffered here because too many details needed work...especially metal details. If a model doesn't require extra work, you're off to a good start. If there aren't other sources, even better! The market for craftsman kits is in between brass and RTR. This has been demonstrated in many markets outside of US steam. Something common enough that people want or need it, but not common enough that they can put off on buying it...and will stockpile. The beauty of limited runs for a manufacturer.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread