Painting Undecorated Steam
Okay...I need some help here.

I've searched, read, and looked up but I haven't found anything really that comprehensive if you will.

What I need is a start to finish guide or assistance on painting an undecorated Steam locomotive.  

Questions like: 

Do I need to disassemble it? I'd rather not if I don't have to because a decoder is installed and I don't want to take it apart again.  The whole engine needed to be re-wired...I get anxiety just thinking about it...

What can I use to mask the windows? Would ordinary green painters tape suffice or do I need to use some of the fancy Tamiya stuff?

Do I need to primer it?  I'm thinking a black primer might be better then a grey or maybe not?

Most importantly...what flippin colours do I use?  I think I have one of the last unopened bottles of TLT CPR Steam Engine Grey which would seem to do the trick in my eyes.

Despite my recent efforts building and weathering my freight inventory this particular project gets me stressed.  Mostly because I don't want the hassle of messing it up and then have start it over.

I have the appropriate decals too...

For comparison I have an engine that I bought painted and weathered on consignment at a LHS which is the look I'd like to achieve with this project.

6931 is waiting for a decoder install before she is put back into revenue service.  But this is the look I am after.

...and here is 6928.  Waiting for her railroad name and numbers.  I picked her up from a club member years ago for a steal at 75 bucks.  A deal I could not pass up.

Anyways...sorry for the long winded post.  The idea of doing this particular project gives me seriously cold feet.

Thanks guys.

Messages In This Thread
Painting Undecorated Steam - by tetters - 09-12-2020, 05:53 AM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by testone - 09-13-2020, 06:03 AM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by tetters - 09-13-2020, 01:20 PM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by doctorwayne - 09-13-2020, 02:49 PM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by cn nutbar - 09-13-2020, 05:30 PM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by tetters - 09-13-2020, 06:44 PM
RE: Painting Undecorated Steam - by cnrglen - 09-13-2020, 08:06 PM