G&D Ore Car #90
Here's a little thread showing a few things I did to enhance this neat little car.

[albumimg]701[/albumimg]

The above image shows a few of the upgrades. I'm not all that happy with the color match, so I'll be applying either a wash of a different color to add more magenta to the brown on the underframe and truck sideframes, or mixing up a new color and painting over what's there. The color is straight 'Brown Iron Oxide' from Delta.

Look closely at the center of the underframe and you'll see a small screw. MDC conveniently provides a starting dimple in the plastic body for drilling a hole through the car 'floor' into the underframe. Okay, actually it's just a dimple left over from the casting process, but hey, it sure is handy. I drilled and tapped the underframe for a 2-56 screw. This is to make a better connection between the body and frame and it allows me to file off the little mounting nubs on the underframe and fill the gaping holes on the lower side sills of the body.

Ahead will be adding new wire stirrup steps and hopefully a coupler lift bar on each end. I'll also be painting the wheel faces and weathering the trucks and lower body. Not sure how far I want to go in ding-ing up the rails and interior. Here's a tip for making upgrades to any piece of rolling stock.

[albumimg]702[/albumimg]

I do this to keep track of all the ideas I might have. I may not use all of them (like I probably won't add any more brake rigging/detail as I can't find any good prototype pics showing such detail and the car won't suffer without it) but it's easy to find them on the inside of the box lid. Not shown is also a blotch of paint with 'Delta Brown Iron Oxide' written next to it as a reference. I wasn't ready to work on the car at that time, but I did play around with matching the paint color.

I'll work on it again later this week, perhaps. Either that or the grade crossing tower scratchbuild.

Here's the url as I can't seem to figure out how to make the words above into a link:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=805">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=805</a><!-- l -->

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread