brass and nickle silver
Fred wrote:And depending on where you live and the environment of your train room, oxidation and the yellow color were the bane of brass rail track. Unfortunately, the rate of oxidation of brass is very dependent on the specifics of the environment so experiences vary widely with brass rail. Some can use brass rail quite successfully; other will have nothing but continuous cleaning chores with brass rail.
----------------------------------------------------------------
That explains a lot...The old Columbus model railroad club was located in the basement of a A&P store had no problems even though 'there was a water leak by the "Portsmouth" Union Station area after a hard rain....The Marion club still has brass track with zero problems..I know 2 guys that still uses brass track with no problems...As I mention I used it for 3 years on a ISL with no problems.

I have always wonder how the hoards used brass track years ago with great success.

So,I suppose the "evils" of brass track depends on its environment and to a degree the mindset planted by the "experts" in books and infomercial magazine articles..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread