brass and nickle silver
Quote:as far as making friends i don't give a hoot i just want some solid evidence to substantiate the claims of NS rail

I'm impressed by all of the effort involved in discussing the chemical analysis of model railroad track and oxidation! I should confess that I would have failed 11th grade chemistry if it weren't for the generous support and patience of my lab partner. :oops:

It seems that focusing on the chemical properties of the rail and its oxidation might not convince some of us about the suitability of brass as much as anecdotal evidence from modelers who have had success with brass rail. I had an experience similar to Nachoman's with my pancake motors and brass rail. Things stalled constantly and I devoted almost as much time to cleaning track as I did running trains. I assumed, as I imagine most of us have, that brass was not a good choice for model railroad rail. It seems to be the conventional knowledge.

To hear accounts of model railroads running smoothly and successfully on brass rail intrigues me, however, whether it has to do with painting the rail sides, or having the right environment, etc. I will not discount those reports even though my experience with brass was abysmal. Instead I'll open my mind to the possibility that given certain conditions and using modern locomotives brass can be an option...and I won't even feel the need to argue about it! Goldth
Now I'll yield the floor to you learned gentlemen who know the difference between a compound and an element and enjoy debating such information. Thumbsup
Ralph

Messages In This Thread