brass and nickle silver
nkp_174 Wrote:
jim currie Wrote:Metals form metallic bonds. Lerner.org may not discuss it, but that is because it is a simplification intended for the layman with no knowledge of the field. If you want to learn chemistry, go to your local library and take out a copy of Brown, Bursten, & LeMay which is a common college text. A chemical reaction is one in which chemical bonds are formed or destroyed...the creation of an alloy is a chemical reaction. You have, in several posts, failed to convey any understanding of this concept...only resistance to it.

We have had many personal testimonies in this thread as to the reason why most of us prefer nickel silver. Eye witness testimony trumps theory in courts...especially when the theory is incomplete and not presented by an expert witness. A proper experiment would involve ovals of track and climate controls...it would help to reveal the roles played by some of the variables which affect the corrosion of the track. If different alloys are used in brass and nickel silver rail, then additional test tracks would be needed. This wouldn't be a fun or short experiment.

Increasing the Nickel raises the resistance to corrosion.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hghouston.com/coppers/brass74.htm#Corrosion%20Resistance%20Data">http://www.hghouston.com/coppers/brass7 ... nce%20Data</a><!-- m -->

Let's not forget that in large scale, brass track is quite common. The wider rails decrease the risk of corrosion interfering with the electrical pickup...and the greater weight probably makes it more effective at polishing the rail.

On a related note, I wonder if nickel silver first came to prominence with eating utensils for its appearance, its corrosion resistance, or both.

Jim, you are a fine model railroader whom is a pleasure to have on the forum. I don't think that you have made any enemies in this thread...just a friendly disagreement.

Michael

again i don't care about friends or enemies I'm not out to convert anyone i just got tired of post stating that joe shome or linn knowitall said this and that . as to the ones that state there displease with brass might be because of the make of track some had very poor QC but that is a personal experience.the post used was simple but it put forth the idea that chemical reactions take place at the molecular level i cant open the URL you posted .

Messages In This Thread