brass and nickle silver
Maybe there is a browser related problem...it works find for me...but not all websites work on my computer...

Here is the relevant text:
"The influence of other alloying additions
The nickel silvers are more resistant to tarnishing than ordinary brasses, the least tendency to tarnishing being shown by those of highest nickel content. Under indoor exposure conditions the tarnishing results only in the development of a yellow tinge in place of the original silvery appearance but long-term outdoor exposure can produce darker surface staining and, eventually, a deposit of light green corrosion products."

That website is from an engineering group which specializes in materials and corrosion.

I'd guess that this is part of the reason that it became popular for use in silverware...hence the nickname "German Silver".

Yesterday I was reading a British forum (with tons of great scratch building projects of locomotives and cars), and they discussed the benefits of using nickel silver in place of ordinary brass for building locomotives. They cited both its resistance to corrosion, easier to solder, and being easier to work with as the reasons for it. I'm inclined to try it out. Looking around, I noticed that some of their cottage industry builders offer their kits with 0.020" thick NS chassis and 0.012" brass boilers, cabs, and such.

Russ, that issue has been raised before just like track cleaning. It is an interesting subject! I know exactly the gunk that you are referring to...I've also cleaned it off! I suspect that plastic wheels clean the track...especially if any types of rubber or oil residue remains from cleaning. I have a mix of plastic and metal wheels. I prefer metal wheels for the sound they make and their smooth rolling...but haven't felt enough of a desire to switch over entirely. I'm also using a mix on my On3 layout...as it is tough to afford the $7 per car needed for NWSL's superior quality wheels.

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread